Overview

Our intention was to complete the Port Davey Track from Scotts Peak Dam and then continue on the South Coast Track to Cockle Creek.
Rather than co-ordinate food drops, we decided to carry food for the whole trip and set off with 12 days food, figuring that if we were delayed we could always ration our supplies to extend a few days.

We’d been planning this trip for quite some time and I had been doing preparation training, including a 36km day walk and hill climbs a couple of times a week with a fully loaded (20kg) pack so I think I was in good shape for the walk. Plus I have plenty of experience bushwalking in Tasmania including the Western Arthurs, Hartz Peak, Mt Picton and several trips to Mt Anne , so I thought I knew what to expect, but I still found the walk quite difficult. 

I don’t know how often the Park’s and Wildlife track notes are updated but the time estimates as well as the ratings don’t seem correct. Usually walking times are very conservative and easily achievable but we struggled to come even close to the indicated times.

You might also notice, if you add up the distances that I calculated for the route using Google Earth it adds up to 72km, rather than the 63km indicated for the Port Davey track.

On the plus side, I have heard that the Port Davey track is not worth doing as it not as scenic as the South Coast track, but I have to disagree. While it doesn’t have the water views of the coast track the landscape is magnificent and well worth a look.

I am a little disappointed that we didn’t continue on to the South Coast track, but given how I went on the Port Davey track I don’t know how I could have handled it. I found I was struggling with the “medium” walking of the Port Davey track so the “hard” sections of the South Coast track seem impossible, at least for me.

In a way, I am grateful that Owen’s feet prevented us from continuing. On our return I discovered that I had dropped nearly 10kg of body weight in just 4 days and was stiff and  sore, not even counting my injured knee.